The Egertons of Tatton Hall

 

Tatton HallTatton Park near Knutsford was owned by the Egerton family from 1598 when it was bought by Sir Thomas Egerton (1540–1617) from his half sister Dorothy Brereton. Sir Thomas was born illegitimate in Doddleston, Cheshire and became a force in the land, Lord Chancellor (1596-1617) and the 1st Viscount Brackley.
His youngest son John (1579-1649) became the 1st Earl of Bridgewater.
The 2nd Earl John (-1686) had four sons -
- John, the 3rd Earl (1646-1700) Ashridge
- Sir William (1649-91) Worsley
- Thomas (1651-85) Tatton Park
- Charles (1654-1717) Staffordshire
It was Thomas's son, John Egerton (1679-1724), who built the first house on the site of the present Tatton Hall mansion around 1716. His daughter Hester (-1780) married William Tatton (1703-1776).
Their son Wilbraham Tatton Egerton (1781-1856) combined the two family names. His son William (1806-83) continued the residency at Tatton and the next son Wilbraham (1832-1909) secured fame as Viscount Salford and Chairman of The Manchester Ship Canal. Thus completing a remarkable canal double ... it was Hestor's 2nd cousin Francis who built the Bridgewater Canal ... John (1646-1700), the 3rd Earl Bridgewater, had a fourth son Scroop (1681-1745) who sired an exceptional grandson Francis (1736-1803), the 3rd Duke of Bridgewater.

 

back to old Hindleys