The Weaverham Electric Supply Company.

The Electrical Review 1914.

The villages of Sandiway, Cuddington, Oakmere and Gorstage have now secured a supply of electricity, the extended supply of the Weaverham Electric Supply Co being officially started last week by Dr Smith, chairman of the company. The directors and officials afterwards took dinner together upon the invitation of Messrs Johnson & Phillips, Ltd, who carried out the contract. The Weaverham Electric Supply Co was formed in 1910, and started supplying electricity in the following year to 20 consumers with an aggregate of 1,000 lamps. At the end of 1912 there were 65 consumers, and 5,000 lamps were in use in Weaverham ; whilst there are now 6,500 lamps in use. In the district for which the new supply caters there are 25 consumers with an aggregate of 2,500 lamps.
Current for power purposes is supplied at Id per unit, and for lighting at 6d per unit. The cottager is allowed the use of one light per week for 3d, and there is no restriction on the use of his light. The transmission from Weaverham to Sandiway and other villages is by 3,000-volt underground duplicate cables, the supply being transformed down to 220 volts for local use. Mr A J Leigh was the consulting engineer for the scheme.

According to a financial daily a dividend of 5 per cent, on the ordinary shares is announced. After writing 20 per cent, off preliminary expenses and providing for depreciation, £45 is carried forward. Revenue from sale of electricity has increased by 80 per cent., and the area is being extended to include Sandiway and Cuddington villages. Overhead distribution is employed.

The Electrical Review 1915.

At the original 1912 generation site on the banks of the Weaver down Sandy Lane out of Weaverham; a Dowson & Mason suction gas plant was linked to a British Westinghouse engine which powered the two 18kw DC 460/500 volt generators. By 1915 the plant that supplied The Weaver Refining Company had been upgraded. A 65 watt Johnson & Philips generator was directly coupled to a vertical four cylinder Hindley engine running on gas from a Salmom & Whitfield gas plant fuelled from low grade anthracite readily delivered via flats on the river.

the dowson and mason gas plant co ltd was formed in 1910 by the amalgamation of the Dowson Economic Gas & Power Co Ltd of Basingstoke and Mason's Gas Power Co Ltd of Levenshulme. The specialities manufactured by this firm included gas producer plants which were suction pressure gas plants operating on anthracite, coke and various forms of vegetable matter for the production of crude gas.

british westinghouse electrical & manufacturing company was a subsidiary of the American Westinghouse Electric & Manufacturing Company established in 1899 with capital from the parent company and a smaller share from UK investors. The company commenced the construction of its first factory in Trafford Park, Manchester the same year. Manufacturing began in 1902. British Westinghouse became a subsidiary of Metropolitan-Vickers in 1919. 

johnson & phillips started as a small company in the suburbs of London, in 1875. They manufactured telegraph cable and associated equipment. As the use of electricity increased, J&P expanded its activities to meet the need of this new industry.

e s Hindley & sons, Dorset, were makers of stationary engines. Around 1905 they produced a vertical high-speed i/c gas engine in two and six cylinder versions.

Salmon, Whitfield & Company of Victoria Works, Kettering manufactured suction gas plants.

 

back to The Weaver Refining Company