Goodwin Brothers Brewers

ProspectusJohn Goodwin (1834-96) was a Master Brewer born in Braintree Essex son of a Shoemaker. He first married Ellen Valters (1842-) from Oakey, Essex on the 11th of June 1861. (He second married Elizabeth ?? (1841-) from Bridlington, Yorkshire?)

John & Ellen's children were -

William Valters Summers Gradwell Goodwin (1862-1942)

Ellen (1864-)

Fleming Gradwell Goodwin (1865-)

Rev Gerald Goodwin (1867-)

In the 1841 census 7 year old John was living in Hyde Lane, Braintree, where his dad James (1801-) was a Shoemaker.

In 1851 John with brother Joseph (1823-) and sister Mary (1830-) were in Hammersmith occupied as Drapers?

In 1861 just before John was married he was a 27 year old Master Brewer back in New Street, Braintree, Essex with his two sisters Emma (1836-) & Harriet (1842-) and brother Thomas (1837-). Visiting them was 19 year old Ellen Valters (1842-) and her two brothers William (1843-) & James (1845-) who were Brewers Apprentices.

In 1871 Ellen and the children were living at home with mum, Sophia (1805-) and younger brother Thomas (1849-) in the High Street, Great Dunow, Essex. Where was John?

In 1881 John was now a widower, and a Brewer, living with the four children and his mother-in-law Sophia Walters (1805-) & his brother-in-law Thomas Walters who was also Brewing. They were living at 74 Balderton Gate, Newark.

In 1891 the family were still living at 74 Balderton Gate, Newark.

In 1901 William V S G and Fleming G were living together with Ellen at Red Heath Villa, Keele. They were now Chemical Manufacturers. The funds from the brewery had obviously been invested in chemicals?

In 1911 William V S G and Fleming G were living together with stepmother Elizabeth and still single and still at Red Heath Villa. William described himself as Director of Public Companies after the purchase of Charles Massey in 1908.

The brewery at Balderton Gate was established in 1882 and incorporated in 1891, together with 28 pubs and 7 houses.

 The Brewing Industry at Newark - A Visit to Messrs Goodwin Bros.

There is no industry that has made such strides of late years in the historic borough of Newark as that of brewing, and the prediction that in course of time the town would become 'a second Burton' seems to be rapidly approaching fulfilment. For many long years Newark has held the highest reputation for the superior qualities of its malt, and the honoured names of such merchants as the Gilstraps, the Branstons, the Thorpes, the Holes, the Bishops, and others are 'familiar as household words' in the great world of commerce. The annual output of malt is enormous, and, as we write, a new range kilns of vast capacity is in course construction for one of the leading firms. It was natural that in the metropolis of malt, and in the midst of an abundant supply of water specially adapted for brewing, the kindred industry should rise and flourish, and recent years have seen wondrous strides in the facilities provided for the production of the national beverage. Amongst the large firms which have made great progress in the extent the output of their popular beers is that of Messrs Goodwin Bros, which, having in 1883 a return of less than 4,000 barrels, has so extended its premises in Baldertongate and its business connections that it this year produced 12,373 barrels, paying the Government in duty £3,885. The brewery stands back from the roadway so that the public who pass down Baldertongate have little idea its extent. As we have lately had the pleasure paying it a visit, a brief description may not uninteresting.

Proceeding to the top of the principal tower we were first shown the lift by which the malt is carried into the malt stores, and also into the hopper ready for crushing. Samples of the different malts were ready for inspection, which, so far could judge, were of the finest quality, and we were informed were the very best that could be bought, and specially malted principles suited the various beers to be produced. The whole malt passes from the hopper to the rollers, and is crushed at the rate about ??? quarters per hour, and falls into the malt hopper below. In this room are also the two hot liquor tanks of eighty and thirty barrels. Descending to the room in which placed the principal shaft, it is here to be noted that so simple, and yet perfect, are the arrangements that this one shaft alone are placed all the pulleys necessary for the movements of lifting, pumping, crushing, &c. In this room, and also partly in the next room, the large malt grist is capable of containing more than thirty quarters of malt. It is stained and varnished. To this is attached a steel mashing machine in which the water or liquor, as it is called, and the ground malt are mixed. This mixing is accomplished by means of a rapidly revolving shaft, which causes the mash to pour into the mash tun placed in the next room. The mash tun is fitted with revolving rakes for completing the work, and with Cave's gun metal slotted false bottoms. The tun is handsomely lagged and bound with brass hoops, and has a polished mahogany top. It 20 quarter tun, and this regulates the size of the plant. Standing this room, and looking over a brass rail, a view is obtained of the copper, and to the room in which this is placed we now descended. First to attract attention was large copper vessel, which we were informed was a wort converter fitted with a patent steam coil so that the operator is enabled to raise the heat of the wort to any point desirable. From the bottom of the mash tun proceed six copper pipes, ending in six taps, which discharge the wort into the converter, and this latter, upon opening a large sluice cock, discharges itself into the copper, in the centre of which stands a fountain. This enables the wort to be boiled at the greatest possible rate, without the risk of boiling over. In fact, the copper can filled within two inches from the top, the wort rushing up the tube with the greatest rapidity, and distributing itself in the shape of a parachute, without causing any disturbance at the edge of the copper.

Descending the next flight of steps, we came to the engine room containing the engine, lagged in mahogany and brass bound, and working so smoothly that the sound can scarcely be heard. Here are three sets of three-throw pumps; the first set is for pumping the water from a boring either separately or simultaneously, the next exclusively for pumping from the new boring (of which shall have to speak later on) and forces the water into the two hot liquor tanks mentioned above; the remaining set of pumps is for throwing the wort to the cooler at the top of the building. We may here mention that the machinery is kept in most perfect order, in fact all the brass work, tinned and copper work, are kept as bright as it is possible to make them. Passing the copper furnace, we come to the room containing the large round wort back, fitted with false bottom and sparger. The wort in the copper being sufficiently boiled, a large sluice cock is opened, and the contents fall into this back, and are then ready to be pumped into the cooler, which is placed at the top of the main body of the building, and when filled looks like a small lake. The building on either side of the cooler is fitted with louvers to enable the steam to pour rapidly away. At the end of this room is also placed a large tank containing water for all other purposes than brewing. Passing down a flight stairs, we come upon a platform, on which stands the refrigerator, a powerful machine, over which fell the wort like a cascade, nearly boiling first, but cooled to any required degree. It is then conveyed by a large pipe to the fermenting tuns. These are placed in a long room, to which we come by passing down a short flight of steps. These tuns are arranged on the side of the room, and all fitted with removable attemperators, and are of great size, the beers in them being in various states of fermentation. It is a fine lofty room, and we noticed that the bottom the cooler formed the ceiling for a great part of its length. It is stained and varnished, and the whole supported on large iron girders painted a pale blue. The hooping of the tuns is also of the same colour, and this has a very pleasing effect. From these rooms the beer, when it has arrived at a proper state of fermentation, is let down into cleansing squares in rooms immediately below, and then commences the skimming off the barm so long it rises. After this the beer remains undisturbed until it falls bright. These squares are fitted with removable attemperators to control the heat of the beers, which, when bright, are racked off into Casks, and taken in the stores until sent to the customers. From these rooms we were taken to the cask cleansing shed. Every cask, we were informed, is unheaded, and undergoes a thorough cleansing, no matter how short a time it may have been used. Above this a large hot liquor tank to supply hot liquor for all cleansing purposes. At the back of this building is the boiler-house. We were told that the firm are about to  place another boiler of forty horse-power, to enable them to carry on their increasing business. Passing the cooperage shop and harness-house we come to the stables. They are lofty and well ventilated. A row of windows runs all the length of the building, and opening from the top admits the air, and over the head of every horse is also a ventilator. The flooring is set in cement, so that it is absolutely sweet and the drainage perfect. The stalls, loose boxes, mangers, and racks are by the St Pancras Ironwork Company, and the whole is painted and varnished. Above is a large room, nicely decorated, and used as a dining hall at fair and other times. We next visited the hops room, filled with very choice bops, and then passed on to the ale and beer stores, where we were shown the various samples of ales and stout. Of the latter, an Imperial Invalid Stout, we were told that since its introduction, in consequence of its fine flavour and rich quality, the sale of it had within the last two years increased quite five times the quantity formerly sold. The mild beer was brilliant, full golden-brown colour, and full palate. The bitter ales were fine and sparkling like champagne. The County Ale, AK, one shilling a gallon ale, is a beautiful light luncheon ale, brewed from the finest pale malt with fine East Kent, Worcester, and Farnham hops. The East India Pale Ale brewed also from the finest pale malt with the choicest pickings of East Kent and Worcester hops. Specimens of these hops were produced. They were of a beautiful golden colour and smooth as silk. We were informed that a member one of the largest firms in London lately paid a visit to the Brewery, and being shown the samples of beers, pronounced them all round to be the finest he had seen at any single brewery. Lastly, we were now taken to the where the last boring had been made, and from which Messrs Goodwin are exclusively brewing their ales, and they believe there is no other water to surpass it in the county. In their office is a section or diagram of the boring, and also specimens of the strata through which the boring was made, together with Mr Lawrence Briant's analysis of the water, than which there can be none more admirably adapted to the production of the finest beers, like those which the firm succeed in brewing.

Such in brief is an outline of a brewery, which is supplying from year to year increasing numbers with their favourite beverage, and doing its part toward extending the popularity of Newark ales. We believe that it is the intention of the proprietors to follow the example set by many other firms, and to register themselves as a Limited Company, in which event we may expect to see further details, if the public are invited to participate in the further development of the enterprise.

Grantham Journal - Saturday 31st January 1891.

 

The Late Mr Goodwin.—The funeral of the late Mr Goodwin, whose death announced our obituary column last Saturday, took place Friday afternoon week. The first portion of the burial service was conducted at the Parish Church, the Rev Marshall Wild officiating. Many beautiful wreaths were sent from relatives and friends, and one was from the workmen employed at the brewery, a tribute of respect to their old master. The mourners included— Mrs Goodwin, Miss Goodwin, Mr W G Goodwin, Mr Fleming Goodwin, the Rev Gerald Goodwin, Mr H A Blount, Mr Adcock, Mr Gilfin (Grantham), and others. The coffin was of polished wainscot oak, with engraved brass mountings. The inscription ran follows John Goodwin, died November 24th, 1896, aged 63. Mr. Goodwin had been connected for many years with the Newark breweries. Formerly was managing partner in the firm of Messrs Caparn, Hankey & Co, who one time held the Castle Brewery. Subsequently he became head of the firm Messrs Goodwin Bros, brewers, Balderton Gate. This business concern was converted into a Limited Company, and is now known Goodwin Bros, Limited, the premises extending from Balderton Gate to Barnby Gate. Only the Thursday before his death Mr Goodwin was out of doors, and that he should have passed away so soon as Tuesday night must have proved a shock to his friends and those who knew him. He had long suffered from bronchitis, and it was that which is understood to have hastened his end.

Grantham Journal - Saturday 05 December 1896.


back to charles massey